Saturday, December 10, 2011

Yoked and Choked

Take my yolk upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yolk is easy and my burden is light.
Matthew 11:29-30 NIV

As I am sitting choking on the amount of obligations I have committed to, I fight back anger as I watch the rest of my family enjoy the beauty of this cold, brisk "pre-winter" day. Why am I so angry? Why am I not able to find breathing space for my soul? I feel tethered to a post that belongs to someone else.  And then I have to step back and ask myself, "Is this the Yolk of my God or the yolk of desire for a self-enhanced image?". Am I seeking the praise of God or the applause of man? When I say yes, why do I say yes? So many things zooming past my mind to evaluate. God says His yolk is easy and His burden light. He even declares that my soul will find rest when yolked to Him. He would never ask me to be weigh down by responsibility that does not fit into His plan for my life. His plans are for my good (Jeremiah 29:11). Today's challenge, to exchange my life plans for His. To say yes to God and not man. To put down responsibilities that bow me down. When tethered to God, I will be tethered to a "good shepherd" and "I shall not want" (Psalm 23). I will swallow life and not be choked by it. My soul will be refreshed, and my joy will exhale. What do you need to lay down? 

No comments:

Post a Comment