Tuesday, December 27, 2011

Blind Trust

Trust in the Lord with all thine heart and lean not unto thine own understanding. In all your ways acknowledge Him and He shall direct thy paths. Proverbs 3:5-6

Flying into Orlando yesterday, our plane was flying through thick, cumulus clouds. Visibility was zero from my back window perspective. We were preparing to land when I looked over to my dear friend and asked, "I wonder how the pilot is able to see through these clouds to land the plane?". My sweet friend immediately answered, "They rely on their navigational gauges." At first I wondered why I had not thought of this simple answer, but then I realized I am not one to trust so easily. I typically rely on my own ability to solve a problem, to bring closure to a dispute, and to make sense of illogical events. I sat pondering the trust of a pilot. He or she must believe the information their gauges relay to them, even if the evidence appears to contradict. They must "blindly trust" as they navigate through thick clouds, storms, and through the dark of night. They cannot second guess their information panel, because their lives, and the lives of their passengers are depending on their ability to "blindly trust". I sat reviewing how many times I have not trusted the navigational gauge (God's Word) I have been given to safely guide me through the blind spots in my own life. If a "gentle answer turns away wrath", then why do I often feel like my own pressured response is better able to ward off others anger. If God conveys that "love never fails" (1 Cor. 13:8), then why do I need to implore diplomatic, politically correct maneuvers to accomplish peace among humanity. Do I not trust God's word to safely navigate me through life's fog? Do you? Today's challenge, trust God. Take Him at His Word. He promises He will direct our paths if we do. We have His assurance that He "will never leave [us] or forsake [us]" (Hebrews 13:5). He is a good God, and we know that in Him "goodness and love will follow [us] all the days of [our] life (Psalm 23:6). Today, Lord, I will place my trust in you, even if I cannot see what lies ahead.

No comments:

Post a Comment