Monday, December 19, 2011

Living For Not Against

No eye has seen, nor ear has heard, no mind has conceived what God has prepared for those who love him. 1 Cor. 2:9
Today, December 19, 2012, I sit with absolutely no Christmas tree erected, no decorative lights donning my windows, nor is there any hint that Christmas is being celebrated in our home this year. I have fretted a little over the absence of external evidences of my joy, but I have dismissed these fleeting moments in order to move forward in my other responsibilities. You see, celebrating Christ is about giving people something to live for and not against. I am not called to live against a set of rules that dictate if and when I hang festive decorations, nor am I designed to follow the holiday traditions set forth by man. Rather, I am living for a hope that cannot be seen by the human eye nor ear, but can be received by the hearts of mankind. I am designed to remind people of the hope they have been given through the birth of the child Christ, and trimming a tree and playing festive music does not necessarily convey this hope. What I know is that the elderly gentleman I have assisted the past four days, the assistance my two daughters gave to my mother yesterday, and the couple my husband ministered to is the best ornaments of hope our family could hang. It is not my intention to brag, but to remind myself that this year our family will decorate hearts in place of home. I really do not think this is a bad trade off this year. What are you living for today? 

1 comment:

  1. Yes, decorating hearts in place of a home...you and your family have ministered to me in this way over the past 7 years. I thank our Father for you and your ministry to others. May you be blessed richly in this life and rewarded by Jesus. "Well done my good and faithful servants."

    ReplyDelete