Wednesday, December 14, 2011

Living While Dying

But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, (and) self-control. Galatians 5: 22-23 NISB

I often think of what it will be like to die. It is my belief that most people do. I wonder what it will be like to grow older and encounter the balk and disdain of those living in their season of youthfulness, although I am beginning to chew on bite size pieces of this reality.  I hear many verbalize their desire to be with God and prayerfully ask Him to take them "home". But I question whether or not this is good time spent. Is my time spent contemplating death and aging a good investment of the gifts I have been given? Does a steward of life have the right to ask God to remove them from this earth? Yes, facing my own mortality and aging helps set my priorities in line. But, giving too much thought to these matters is a poor investment of my life. Actually, I am spending my life with no return. So what is a good way to invest my life and reap the dividends of good life? Accept death and aging and move on. Anti-aging creams may slow the outward signs of fleshly decay, but it cannot stop my internal aging clock. As one of my students stated last night, "Eat more fruit". Yes, living well means I must eat more fruit. I must love more. I must exude more joy. I must live at peace with myself and mankind. I must show patience, even when I am cut off in traffic. I must reach out and in kindness share with those in need. I must show goodness and faithfulness to my children, my spouse, my family, and to all those in my realm of influence. And with self-control, offer gentleness when I have been wronged. You see, I am dying and so are you. But, I have the choice to live in the presence of dying. Vanesha, thanks for this reminder. Today, I challenge you to pick up life and eat more fruit.

~Lynne~

No comments:

Post a Comment