Sunday, January 29, 2012

Doing What Matters Today

Do not boast about tomorrow, for you do not know what a day may bring forth. Proverbs 27:1

As I sit reviewing my previous week and assessing my calendar concerning the commitments that glare at me in the week ahead, I feel my soul languishing over the lack of margin in my schedule. I can already feel my adrenalin gearing up. How will I navigate the landscape that stretches out before me? I know God reminds us that lack of planning leads to failure, but this is not my problem. My problem is that the plans distract my attention away from the "matters" that lie at my feet today. I cannot seem to enjoy today. My children, along with their cousin, are laughing and dancing, while the sounds of their youthful joy become a distraction to my stratgic "game planning". I began to realize that something was out of sync, because the unknown outcome of tomorrow was casting a shadow of the music and beauty of today. How can God entrust me with tomorrow until I act responsible with the gifts and purposes He has laid before me today? I decided to stop gearing up for tomorrow and give massages to each one willing to trust me with their bodies and minds. I had a line of willing participants. The outcome was family bonding and mutual love exchanged. My lesson-joy is found in doing what matters today. Surrendering my gifts and talents in the moment and not to an unkown future. Being present minded with an eye toward the future. To live with hope is to know that tomorrow will take care of itself. What plans do you need to lay down, so that you too can do what matters today. Today. It is filled with promise and purpose. So, surrender tomorrows plans to today's joy.        

1 comment: