Saturday, January 14, 2012

"Whatever is True"

Above all else, guard your heart, for it is the wellspring of life. Proverbs 4:23

Reluctantly I tossed back the warm, fleece sheets that dons my bed and literally rolled out of bed this morning. I really had no pressing demands that required me to stand upright, but I decided that it was better then allowing my mind to race and ponder upon uncertainties that lay before me. With night grit still in my eyes, I went on autopilot and sat with my Bible open and my brain still in REM mode. After two hours of  read, yawn, and feeble prayer trance mode, I stumbled across an old photo of my dad leading me, and my very young daughter at the time, on his horse. We were all much younger then, but what caught my attention was the smile emanating from the depth of his soul and spread wide across his face. Captured in the moment was a picture of joy. It has been several years since that moment, and I sat wondering what happened. Somewhere along the way my dad lost sight of what was true. We loved him. He was loved by others. But most importantly, he was loved and cared for by God. Somewhere along the way parasites entered his mind and captured his heart. Parasites that spoke lies regarding the hope he had in Christ. An infestation that veiled the truth of the power we have to overcome any adversary and circumstance. A truth that states that "nothing living or dead, angelic or demonic, today or tomorrow, high or low, thinkable or unthinkable, absolutely nothing can get between us and God's love" (Romans 8:38-39 the MSG). I contemplated how my father could have lost site of this truth. As I sat looking upon past memories with a smile, I was reminded that I too have the same hope my father once held dear-God's love for me and all of His created. A love that is unchangeable in the mist of a changing world. This truth is for everyone, and we all must guard against the lies and daily parasites that threaten to cloud this truth. We must stand like a sentinel against soul sabotaging lies that imprison our hearts and minds and rob us of the joy that belongs to those who are in Christ Jesus. We must dwell on only what is true and honorable and of good repute (Philippians 4:8). Today, know that nothing, absolutely nothing, can separate you from God and the love he lavishes upon us each day, except the lie. What lies are you believing?  

No comments:

Post a Comment