Thursday, January 19, 2012

Vision Restored

And He took him outside and said, "Now look toward the heavens, and count the stars, if you are able to count them." Genesis 15:5

Yesterday I had an "Abram" moment. I had lost sight of the promises of God. Like Abram, I needed a visual reminder of a God that is bigger than my doubt and fear. Abram must have been ruminating on what he thought was not to be when he stated, "O Lord God, what will you give me, since I am childless....?" I too was ruminating on what may not be, as I found myself pondering on the results of a most recent diagnostic exam. So absorbed in my thinking, that I failed to look outside and see the beauty that rested before me. A beauty that extolled the majesty of God and illuminated the promise hope. It was then that I realized I was allowing my doubt and concern to shroud the sovereignty of a God whose plan is perfect. My focus was turned inward, where darkness concealed hope, and not outward and up toward a God of great vision. I wondered how often I had missed God's message of hope, because the eyes of my soul were cast down. God took Abram outside and told him to look up and count stars. Stars reminded Abram of the covenant promise. Yesterday, I too was reminded to look up and count blessings. As I took in the beauty of the sun's brilliance blanketing the earth's cold and snow, I realized how important it was to look out and up and not in. I wanted to cradle myself in this moment. What are the eyes of your soul cast upon? Do you find darkness or hope? Are you looking inward when you should be looking out and up? Hope is found when we look toward heaven and count God's promises and His blessings. Hebrews 13:5-6 reminds us that we can, with great confidence, declare that the "The Lord is our helper and we need not be afraid" (emphasis mine). Today, what is keeping you from looking up and having your vision restored?  

No comments:

Post a Comment