Thursday, January 12, 2012

Reaping the Harvest

Do not be deceived...whatever a man sows, this he will also reap....Let us not lose heart in doing good, for in due time we will reap if we do not grow weary. So...let us do good to all people....Galatians 6:7-10

Yesterday I had a fairly frustrating day. My dear friend and colleague was gracious enough to absorb my expression of this inconvenient day. However, what made my day frustrating was not the events, but my response. Life happens, and it happens everyday. People forget to follow through on their assignments. Family members cast unreasonable, and often unattainable, expectations at our feet. Colleagues work with different ideas on how to accomplish the same goals. Words are cast out of mouths without a safety net to protect tender hearts. Yes, everyday we live in a broken, sin saturated world. However, the harvest we reap in our lives does not come from the actions or words of others, but from the actions and words emanating forth from our response. Yesterday was frustrating, because I responded in frustration. Period. I reaped my harvest based on the seed I had sown. The lesson. If we desire a different harvest then what we find in our "life basket", then we must farm with a different "life seed". If someone forgets, then extend forgiveness and understanding, because one day you will need the same grace when you forget. If someone cast harsh, hurtful words at you, catch them with gentleness in return. One day you will be grateful that your harsh words were caught and cast out. Respond with the same response you desire. Yesterday I ate sour grapes, but today those grapes are sweet. The difference? I choose to plant with a different "life seed" today. What is in your "life garden"? 

No comments:

Post a Comment