Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Living with Blisters

Therefore, as God's chosen people, holy and dearly loved, clothe yourselves with compassion, kindness, humility, gentleness and patience. Colossians 3:12

As a hiker, I know how paralyzing getting a blister can be. My family and I hiked down Pikes Peak two summers ago, and I was rendered bootless at one point in our nine hour descent. After returning home, I discovered that my feet had not been properly attired for such a rigorous adventure, and first aid was required for a few months after. Recently, I took on another adventure. This adventure is one of the heart and soul. After a very long day in my new role, I encountered a vile, bristly human soul. I was tired and easily wounded, so I left with a heart that had been blistered. And like any physical blister, this blister paralyzed my soul. I began to walk soulfully wounded. My heart needed first aid. It has been a few days since my encounter with this rugged and harsh being, and I have asked myself what can I do to prevent being blistered by this person again. Her vile and bristly nature is perhaps like Pikes Peak, stationary, but my encounter with her, like Pikes Peak, will have to change. I will have to don different soul protecting measures to avoid getting blisters on my soul. So, what will I need to drape my soul with? Compassion, Kindness, Humility, Gentleness and Patience. These attributes will guard my heart. They will remind me to step with awareness as I navigate the terrain of a rugged and bristly soul. You see, getting blisters descending down Pikes Peak did not stop me from wanting to revisit this magnificent work of God. It simply made me aware of what I need to do differently, so that I am not distracted from the beauty of such magnificence. My encounter with this harsh soul made me aware of what I need to do differently, so that I do not miss the beauty of what God has created in each individual soul He stamped "fearfully and wonderfully made" Psalm 139:14. Today, I plan to drape my soul in blister proof character. What attributes do you need to clothe yourself in, so that the eyes of your heart can see the beauty of a of a rugged, bristly soul? 

No comments:

Post a Comment