Sunday, February 5, 2012

The art of Christian Zumba

...applying all diligence, in your faith supply moral excellence...knowledge...self-control... perseverance...godliness... brotherly kindness...love....for as long as you practice these things, you will never stumble...2 Peter 1:5-10

Yesterday I had a conversation with a woman ready to take up the Latin style of dance and exercise program called Zumba. I was not very encouraging in my response to her enthusiasm. This past summer I accepted a free pass to take part in a Zumba class. Now when free is part of the vocabulary, it does not take much for me to reach out and accept. I went with my daughter and her friend, our next door neighbor. I am relatively fit and agile, so I thought Zumba would simply be a fun night out with the "girls". I was not prepared for the fast moving, hip-hop, hip-swerving, arm-slinging, salsa tapping style of exercise. In one instant I became like an infant--uncoordinated. I simply could not master the moves, no matter how hard this once state winning track and field star tried. So I did what any self respecting mother would do; I embarrassed my daughter. I began to create my own moves. I twisted and twirled, and gyrated to my own beat. I threw my hands up and my head back and let nature take over. Simply put, I gave up. I finished the hour long reminder of how old I really was, and decided my body was not meant for such Latin elements like Zumba. However, my conversation yesterday made me wonder why I had not went back and diligently commit to practicing this healthy form of exercise. Practice makes perfect, as the old adage goes. So, why had I simply not decided to employ this age old principle? Why do any of us give up on something we know brings the benefit of relationship, peace and harmony, restoration and healing, and life-long spiritual and emotional benefits. Because like me, we think after one or two failed attempts we are not created to enjoy such God-given gifts. We link our "failure" in with our self-identity. God is more understanding and gracious than our opinions and conclusions. He understands the principle of putting moral character, knowledge, self-control, perseverance, godliness, brotherly kindness and love into practice. He knows that with practice, we will enjoy the benefits of being in healthy relationships and productive work. This is what I call practicing "The Art of Christian Zumba". What is it you need to revisit and commit to putting into practice?

Lord, today, I commit to receiving forgiveness for my failures, and will seek to practice the virtues of moral excellence. You promise that as long as I put into practice your principles for godly living, I will never stumble. Lord, here I am, spiritually uncoordinated, but ready to put into practice the art of Christian Love and Living.  

No comments:

Post a Comment