Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Speaking Art

Then God Said....Genesis 1:26

I work, and happen to be friends, with an extremely talented artist. I watch how she effortlessly takes blank paper, or other mediums, and casts her "magic" to create thought provoking, colorful images of shapes and designs. I simply cannot grasp having this kind of skill and creativity. She literally creates works of life out of nothing. Her tools are colors, brushes, chisels, hammers, saws, clay, foil, fabric, twine, and quiet honestly, anything she can place in her hands. These tools obey and submit to her skillful mind and determined hands and fingers. When I watch her, I think back to my days in high school art. I wonder how my art teacher ever endured my clumsy nature and inept ability to go beyond drawing people with straight lines. I wonder if she ever tried to pay off the guidance counselor and have me transferred out of her class. Perhaps her pay was that of most teachers-miniscule. Today, nothing has changed. I can recite the basic eight colors, but beyond that, know nothing about art. I have never considered myself an artist until today.

Today, I read in Gensis that "God said". And what follows was more magnaminous than Van Gogh, Michelangelo, or my dear, talented friend could ever produce. God spoke, and the beauty of all creation came into being. Words. These were God's tool. Words. The first and greatest artist spoke, and living art, in 3-D, appeared. Proverbs 18:21 states that "Death and life are in the power of the tongue". Timothy Lane and Paul Tripp in their book "Relationships: A Mess Worth Making" write;"Because our words have power and direction, they always produce some kind of harvest." My words have the power to produce a harvest of life giving and life sustaining fruit. Just like my dear friend produces a harvest of artifacts from her labor, I too can create a harvest that can be displayed and viewed by onlookers. "Let know unwholesome word proceed out of your mouth, but only such a word as is good for edification according to the need of the moment, so that it will give grace to those who hear" (Ephesians 4:29).       

Yes, I am an artist. I use words. I have the ability to "speak art" every day. I can choose what words I will use, and can decide how I will use them and to whom I will bestow them upon. I can speak creatively and bring living colors of hope and encouragement. I can remind the faint hearted that all journeys have an end point. I can convey to those who deem themselves unworthy that God himself handcrafted every aspect of their form. I can choose to extend words of forgiveness to the offender and comfort to the offended. I can say "I love you" and "You are special" by mindfully choosing the right combination of words that declare the message. God spoke and so can I. Today, choose your words carefully, for you too are a speaking artist.

Today, Father, help me to mindful of every word I speak and think. Let no unwholesome speech proceed out of my mouth. Help me to guard what I place in my heart, for what I allow in my heart will be ushered out of my mouth. Thank you for reminding me that I speak art everyday. Amen.  

No comments:

Post a Comment