Saturday, March 10, 2012

Living upside Down

For the wisdom of this world is foolishness before God.... 1 Corinthians 3:19

I visited the Shedd Aquarium in Chicago this week. It is truly an amazing adventure into bio-diversity. I highly anticipated my visit, and was most notably excited about the jellyfish exhibit on tour. My expectations of this exhibit were met. I soaked in every educational tidbit posted on walls, stood mesmerized at the variety of colors, shapes, and sizes of the various species, and was in awe over the artistic enhancements that punctuated the walls in the exhibit. Watching the jellies, as they appeared effortlessly suspended in their watery environment, washed away any stress from the week. I was captivated by the variety being displayed, however, one species captured my attention the most--the upside-down jelly fish. This species lives in a symbiotic relationship with a single celled algae called zooxanthellae. The zooxanthellae provides partial nutrition to the jellyfish, but need to be housed. The jellyfish turns upside, so that the zooxanthellae can reside inside its bell shaped body and absorb the energy from the sun. Both benefit, however, the jellyfish must give up its freedom to float in the water currents and rest upside down. 

As I pondered the life of this jellyfish, I thought about my relationship to Christ. How often I refuse to give up my independence and live in a receiving position. After all, the culture I live in vehemently applauds and encourages independent, self-sufficient living and constant movement. I believe it could cross over into a social mores if one would choose living "upside down" by deciding to live interdependent, and perhaps dependent, with people and life in general. But then I have to question what life giving gift am I missing by refusing to lay down and let others "rest" in me. What soul nourishing, emotionally satisfying food do I pass up when I refuse to rest, so that another soul can gain nourishing energy from my "idol" position. What is it the God wants to place in my life, so that I can be soulfully fed?  

What about you? Have you believed the wisdom of this world that advertises the belief that to be spiritually, emotionally, and mentally well-fed that you must live freely and disengaged. It was the apostle Paul who declared that God himself has made "foolish the wisdom of the world" ( 1 Cor. 1:20). I believe Christ is calling us to live upside down. To live in a manner that places us in a receiving position. This means we have to decide that giving up our freedom to choose how we live better enables us to receive "soul nourishment" from Christ himself. To rest in Christ is to believe that we do not need to conquer life on our own, because He has already done this for us. Today, let go and receive His good gifts. 

Father, today I let go of needing to live life on my own. I freely surrender my independent stance, and receive life your way. I trust that what you have to give me is much more than I can acquire on my own. Today, I trust you, as I live life "upside down". 

No comments:

Post a Comment