Friday, March 2, 2012

It's All Found In a Name

The Name of the Lord is a strong tower, the righteous run into it and (are) safe. Proverbs 18:10

I remember, as a little girl, loud noises periodically going off and coming from what appeared to be no where. These screeching sounds, which I now know where sirens, would set my little 4 year-old feet flying toward my mother. I would impale my body into hers by burying my head into her abdomen, and tightly wrap my frail arms around her waist. She would stand strong embracing me with her reassuring arms and soothing voice. I recall feeling that there was nothing that could harm me in that moment. My mother was my strong tower. Today, there are different arms I have learned to run to. Yes, I am much older and perhaps should be more capable of discerning the reason behind the noises that threaten my security, but often fear presents itself before logic. And in that moment of fear and insecurity, I continue to need assuring arms and words that comfort. The writer of Proverbs 18:10 directs me to run into the name of the Lord. His name, the name above any earthly or heavenly name, reminds me that when others criticize my existence, the Lord Elohim created me. Elohim reminds me that I am precious in His sight (Isaiah 43 emphasis mine). His name El-Elyon declares His sovereignty above any foe or circumstance that threatens my purpose, because He declares that He will accomplish His good pleasure and that as He has planned it, so He will do it. Nothing or no one thwarts His plan for my life (Isaiah 46:9-11 emphasis mine). The name El Roi declares his perfect vision of my life. "The eyes of the Lord are in every place, watching the evil and the good." (Proverbs 15:3 ) My father, my Lord, sees when I have been harmed. Nothing escapes His vision or His sovereignty. His other names: Jehovah Shalom, the Lord of peace, the Lord my shepherd who declares I shall not want (Psalm 23:1), Jehovah Jireh, the Lord who provides, and Jehovah Rapha, the Lord who heals mind, body, and soul. He has many more, but these are just a few I have learned to run to and find security. Where or who do you run to in times of distress? Many boast in friends, family, jobs, money, and possessions, but I boast in the name of the Lord (Psalm 20:7 emphasis mine). For me, security and peace are  found in a name, and this name is most noted as Jesus.

Father, remind me that there is no other name that can calm my fears but yours. When I am beaten and battered emotionally, I can run to you and be safe. Safe from worries and concern, and safe from being rejected. Today, I run to you, keeper of my soul. 

No comments:

Post a Comment