Sunday, July 1, 2012

Dropping the F-Bomb

If we confess our sins, He is faithful and righteous to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness. 

1 John 1:9

Our society has become desensitized to coarse language and crude speech. Although we find such language distasteful at times, we no longer shudder when it is spoken. In recent weeks, the one I hear most often is the f-bomb. I even hear children dropping the f-bomb as if it were part of their grammar lesson taught in school. 

There is, however, another F-bomb that I would like to drop. It is forgiveness. Like the other f-bomb, this one is both given and received. Society's f-bomb is meant to harm and destroy the recipient, but the F-bomb of forgiveness releases a captive soul and frees both the sender and recipient from bitterness, anger, and distress. Forgiveness allows each person the freedom to become who God created them to be, while unforgiveness keeps us stuck. 

There is a saying that unforgiveness is a pill we swallow while we wait for the other person to die. The problem with this is that we were the ones who swallowed the pill, and it will be us who die and not the one we are embittered towards. Offering and receiving the F-bomb is our only cure for our imprisoned and dying soul that anger and bitterness locked in. 

Today, drop the F-bomb at the feet of someone who needs to hear "I forgive you." Additionally, receive the F-bomb from a Savior who is faithful to forgive us. When we receive this F-bomb we are no longer defined by our past or by our mistakes, but by a perfect God who gives us new life in Christ and promises a new destination-Heaven. That is one F-bomb I do not mind hearing.

Father, today, I receive the forgiveness that only a perfect God can grant. Also, I forgive those who have harmed me. Remind me that others are like myself, forgetful, thoughtless, needy, insensitive,  and emotionally imperfect. When I receive or extend forgiveness, I am free to live the life you have designed. Today, I receive and give forgiveness, amen. 

No comments:

Post a Comment