Saturday, June 9, 2012

Speaking Light

Then God Said, "Let there be light"; and there was light.

Genesis 1:3

As I sit reflecting on the power of words, I am reminded of a story my husband recounts on occasion. He had always desired to become an architect. In high-school he had taken a drafting class as preparation for his dream job, however, an ill-spoken comment by his drafting teacher shattered his belief that he could pursue this career. His teacher had made a critical comment on one of his designs without teaching or providing guidance as to how he could improve upon what he was creating. This harsh spoken comment convinced my husband that he was not equipped or talented enough to become an architect. 

Having taught both college and high-school students cumulatively for over 22 years, I wonder how many times my words have seared the direction of a student. Proverbs 18:21 states, "The tongue has the power of life and death" (NIV). Words are so powerful that even God himself used them to speak light into existence. Light illuminates and provides insight to a path once darkened.    

Whose path can you illuminate today by thoughtfully choosing words that bring light? Whose soul can find nourishment through the delivery of carefully chosen words (Proverbs 10:21)? Today, be mindful of your ability to "speak light" into a fellow sojourner. You may never know the final destination your words may have. Speak light not darkness. 

Today, Lord, remind me to choose carefully my words. A "wise tongue brings healing" (Proverbs 12:18). I pray that today I can be a healing force, amen. 

No comments:

Post a Comment