Sunday, April 8, 2012

Bare and Blessed

And they found the stone rolled away from the tomb, but when they entered, they did not find the body of the Lord Jesus. Luke 24:2-3

Years ago, while working and attending graduate school, my oldest daughter, twelve at the time, asked me to watch a movie with her. As was my habit, I turned this into an opportunity to multitask. I carefully planned what I would accomplish for school, as I fulfilled my role as an "attentive" mother. I was not prepared for my daughter's next request. In her soft, quiet nature, and tender voice, she said, "Mommy, would you please watch the movie with me with your hands empty?" I instantly knew what she meant. She wanted my undivided attention. She understood that multitasking equated to a half-hearted attempt at building a relationship.

I have never forgotten that moment, or the lesson her request taught me that day. There is a blessing to barrenness. I laid down my books and gave my daughter my "empty hands", but full heart. That day, we sat side by side, mother and daughter, reaping the blessings of barrenness. 

Overload is a modern-day plague that robs relationships of connectedness and joy. We bring a divided heart to the relationships we verbally indicate are most important, However, our "full-hands" truthfully reveal our life priorities. We need to disconnect with our belief that a full life equates with a full heart. Jesus left behind an empty grave that imparted fullness of life and eternity. His empty grave became our greatest gift. Today, empty your life, so that others can enjoy the fullness of fellowship and joy. 

No comments:

Post a Comment